We have 20 children in our class. Our teacher is Miss Katie Loney. Our Classroom Assistant is Miss Holmes.
Fresh fruit is available daily and we encourage the children to make healthy choices.
Milk is available free to all children until they are 5 (once registered).
Water is readily available in the classroom. The children are encouraged to help themselves throughout the day.
PE takes place every Tuesday Morning. Please label all your child's uniform and PE kit.
Outdoor play is a big part of our curriculum. At Scout Road we provide the children with waterproof clothing. Please could you make sure your child has a suitable warm coat, hat, gloves and wellies.
Book bags need to be brought to school every day with their reading book, reading record and their phonics book.
The first 3 weeks of this half term we will be carrying out a baseline assessment on all the Reception children. This will inform us of, what your child knows and the specific areas we need to focus on. This will also gives us opportunities to, get to know your child better and give them the chance to settle into school life and get used to routines and rules. After this we will start adult led sessions of phonics, Maths and English.
Our topic this half term is:-
'Knights and Castles'
Reception children will be learning to:
- Recognise numbers of personal significance
- Recognise numbers 1-10 and beyond
- Forming numbers 0-9 correctly.
- Counting objects and matching the quantity to the correct numeral
Year One children: For the first 4 weeks will be covering Place Value. Within this they will be learning to:
- Count to ten, forwards and backwards, beginning with 0 or 1 or from any given number
- Count, read and write numbers to 10 in numerals and words
- Given a number, identify one more or one less
- Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including number line, and use language of: equal to, more than, less than (fewer), most, least.
English: We use the Ruth Miskin 'Read, Write Inc' programme to develop our reading and writing skills.
Our books this half term will be:
'It's a secret'
We will be learning to:
- Talk about events that have happened in the story
- Make links to their own experiences where possible
- Sound out simple words and spell correctly using correct phonics sounds - Year 1
- Write simple sentences, using finger spaces and full stops - Year 1
- Join in with repeated refrains.
- Sequence events in stories
- Write for a purpse
- Use imaginative vocabulary
By the end of the year to meet the Early learning goal in Literacy children need to:
- Use phonic knowledge to decode regular words and read them aloud accurately
- Read some irregular common words
- Read and understand simple sentences
- Demonstrate understanding when talking with others about what they have read
- Use phonic knowledge to write words in ways which match their spoken sounds
- Can write some irregular common words
- When writing, some words are spelt correctly and others are phonetically plausible
- Writes simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others.
Science Investigations: Uses of everyday materials
Expressive Arts and Design: Portraits
Topic: Knights and Castles and homes in the past
Reading Books: They will be changed on a Monday and Friday, however, if you would like your child's reading book changed between these days, please place the book in the box.
Possible help parents can offer at home:
- Reading/ story telling daily
- Talking about everyday things that occur
- Practice holding a pencil correctly
- Practice writing simple sentences, using finger spaces and full stops
- Getting dressed and undressed independently
- Practice writing numbers and counting out loud
- Simple addition and subtraction sums
- Learn number bonds to 10
Dates for your Diary:
- Tuesday 5th September - Back to school
- Friday 15th September - Parents assembly
- Thursday 28th September - Phonics Evening
- Friday 29th September - Parents assembly
- Friday 13th October - Parents assembly
- Wednesday 18th October - Parents evening
- Friday 20th October - Harvest assembly
- Thursday 26th October - Break up for half term
See what fun we have been having!